International Business Machines Corporation operates as a company providing end-to-end solutions and services worldwide.
- Its Cloud & Cognitive Software segment offers software for vertical and domain solutions in healthcare, financial services, Internet of Things (IoT), weather, software and security services; and clients information management and data storage systems, analytics and integration software solutions to support critical local clients workloads in the banking, aviation and retail industries.
- The company also offers middleware and data platform software, including Red Hat, which ensures operation of the hybrid multi-cloud client environments; and Cloud Paks platform software, distributed WebSphere and analytics platform such as distributed DB2, information integration and corporate content management, as well as IoT, Blockchain and AI/Watson platforms.
- The company's Global Business Services segment offers business consulting, systems integration, apps management, packaged software maintenance and support, business process outsourcing services in finance, procurement, talent and engagement, as well as industry outsourcing, IT infrastructure and platform services.
- The Global Technology Services segment provides project-based, managed, outsourced and cloud-based services for the corporate IT infrastructure, as well as IT infrastructure support services.
- The Systems segment offers servers for enterprises, cloud service providers and scientific computing organizations; data storage products and solutions; corporate operating system z/OS; and Linux.
- The Global Financing segment provides leasing, payment in installments, loan financing, short-term working capital financing, and recovery and remarketing services.
The company was formerly known as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Co. and changed its name to International Business Machines Corporation in 1924. The company was founded in 1911 and is headquartered in Armonk, New York.